Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Just saved you all over $500 by reading this..

I happened to see a Chilton's Repair Guide for the Kaypro -- yes, THAT Chilon's -- and thought it might be a nice-to-have. So after casting about at the usual sites, I came up with this:

Amazon

An on-line book store

A thrift store in Washington State
Can you believe the first two? $800 plus and $600 plus? I thought maybe it's an exhaustive compendium of dark secrets, right?

So when I saw one available at the Washington state thrift shop for bout $2.00, I jumped on it. Even went for expedited shipping for a total of less than $10 delivered.

Ten days later (so much for the $8.00 speed-up mailing), it arrived and I pored over it. What a waste! I knew more than most of the stuff in there! My main interest was in the guts of the video board and principally why the display was skewed. (Please read the posts below to see what I am talking about.) The book had only FOUR pages on video boards -- two pictures, three diagrams (not including the Micrex board), and 50% of the verbiage was "there are lethal voltages running around there and you're too stupid to understand this shit anyways. Get your ass over to a professional and let him adjust the variable pots for you."

That's it!

Nuts! I am sure glad I was not rebuilding a truck transmissions; they'd probably tell me how to start the diesel and give me directions to the local GM or Ford dealer.

Oh yeah, they did have some trouble-shooting tips. You know, like
Main board does not function....Replace main board
No power........................Plug in computer
................................or replace power supply
Floppies do no spin.............Replace floppies
..etc.
..real "Rocket Surgery" stuff.

I'm outta here!

-72-

No comments:

Post a Comment