Wednesday, March 12, 2014

It's Captain Video and his Video Rangers

A sense of tranquility fell over the workshop late this evening. My son, the Good Lance Corporal, dragged his Suzie (Suzuki motorcyle) into the garage for some minor clean-up and we hung out as I applied the finishing touches on the Kaypro -- paying particular attention to straightening the wiggles near the bottom of the display.

This time, I tweaked the controls and noted that the was some interaction like the tech manual said. I got it petty close but could not eliminate the pronounced skew on the bottom right of the display top disappear. "Close enough for government work," comes to mind.


I also took some time to lash the new phone jack connector to the old keyboard plug and mount that. So, I'd say the old girl is about 80% I am getting some intermittent problems with getting disks to boot. Is it a symptom of the problem I encountered last Sunday? Dunno? But it would be kinda neat if I could mate this unit up with the FreHD that is being kluged into TRS-80s Mark IVs. I remember I one had an MD-DOS board inside the 2x and seeing there was little or no advantage to DOS V2.11 over CP/M, I used it as a ram disk.

Old broken phone jack and new replacement.

View of the old plug and the new phone jack with spiffy repair.

Finally wedged snugly in place.

The 2X with a slightly better editor and something better than the ECO-C compiler I was trying out tonight would be half interesting. Wonder how I can do that? Hmmmmmmmmm!

Anyway, it's back on the shelf, waiting like a good and faithful servant for the FreHD stuff to come along.


..now, in the mean time, back to the Ugly Weekender.




1 comment:

  1. Some monitors have 4 small magnets in an array that you can turn/swivel or otherwise adjust to help correct edge/corner distortion -- from your photographs I would expect that one of the magnets responsible for the right hand bootom corner of your display is either misaligned or has dropped off..

    GrantC, AU
    www.actrixcomputer.com

    ReplyDelete