Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A Triplett Amongst the Simpsons

I stumbled on a decent Triplett 630 NA the outer day on eBay and scooped it up. Was in great cosmetic shape but had a few range inaccuracies and the needle stuck. So, after looking at it and considering the dirt price I paid and factoring in the skill required to remove debris from the meter movement, I packed it up and sent it off to my favorite meter repair people: Instrument Meter Services..notably Ike and Jason. It was accompanied by a symptoms report and instructions to give unto the tender mercies of their tech, John.

After a reasonable amount of time and for a very reasonable price, the unit was received back into the shack where it nuzzles up to my two Simpsons. One of 'em was a 260 I inherited from my late father and the other, a 270 I found at a swap meet -- also for dirt. Its performance is well within a satisfactory 3% of full scale at the most variant but when it counts, is dead on the money -- as are my Simpsons, by the way. John up at IMS sure knows his stuff and does good work.

But let's face it, these folks units are collectors that I value higher than what I could actually turn 'em for on eBay or at a swap, but then that's the point of collecting, innit?

Anyway, here's some shots of the Triplett and its innards. It's immaculate and one of my pride and joys:











-30-

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever build that r x bridge from lou down under you mentioned in your 2012 blog? I have the kit but never found time to build it. Maybe this winter. Tell Cam HI for me. We roomed together at FDIM a few years ago.

    Dave K8WPE

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    I surely did! In fact, I built both his kits and had a ball with each one. (I did a few posts on same in the back pages here.)

    The are excellent kits in that they have that truly "homegrown" flavor. Common, ordinary hardware and machined pieces that combine to make a very nice tool. And *anyone* can drive an MFJ-259; with these, you get into the theory of what you are measuring. Highly recommend your attempting one of these -- and getting to know Lou; he is an absolute prince!

    Will say hello to Cam for you!

    72 es dit dit,

    Bill, k6whp

    ReplyDelete