Anyway, it became apparent to me that if I was going to delve into this and slam together variants of this little beast, a means of testing these without tacking on the controls making each project look like some electronic Medusa.
So, as Tim Allen famously said, "I rewired it!"
So I built a test jig (introduced in the previous pose below) that would support "plug and play" by incorporating headers and plug/connectors to the controls. (Thanks to Tom, N8TPN, for the lowdown on the connectors that led me to Pololu. A few minutes of browsing there yielded a moderately inexpensive method of implementing the re-usable setup.)
Anyway, the pictures below of my step-by-step construction of a 40 meter version are pretty self-explanatory. If you have questions, leave a comment and I will get back to you.
First, the labelled shots..
..and now the rest.
|Entire test setup for K7QO's Phase 3 testing.|
This was one of K7QO's crystal checkers used in generating the 4.915 MHz signal to test the BFO.
And here's a little added bonus. When not in use, the soldering station wand cord used to get in my way and drive me nuts. So, I ran the cord through a used toilet paper tube and use that -- as shown -- as a means of gathering it up neatly.