Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Meanwhile, back at the ranch..

I guess I am like a kid in the candy store what with the wonderful things we can lay our hands on in amateur radio. Despite my seemingly wandering eye, I am having a blast with Lou's RX2. I took it to a ham radio swap meet yesterday (no pictures, sad to say) and endured the usual cretinous remarks like, "why should I use one o' them thangs? Ah gots me a MFJ 259!". Of course my churlish responses sort of morphed into, "yeah, and I'll bet you use a pocket calculator too, instead of a perfectly good slide rule!"

Jeeesh! Some people just do not get it, do they?

Anyway, with all of the components assembled, it's time to put them together. Here's a bunch of snaps with the components just prior to bolting them in and tuning the little beast up.









Nothing remarkable; just different views. You might want to check out the power switch board. Lou uses a rather simple board to anchor the power mains and the switch. Also note the LED incorporated into the RX2.  The first thought it that it will drain the battery plenty damn quick but, as a person who has left my Palomar Engineers noise bridge on more times than i care to mention, I can live with this.

Also, a follow-on comment by Lou about my trimmer inductor. He says I probably have too may turns on it to properly compensate the bridge for operation around 28 MHz. Maye so, but it tuned up nicely -- or so I think. I will be going back to revisit the initial calibration of the bridge once I get the hang of using it. I would not be surprised if Lou were correct.

-72-



No comments:

Post a Comment